Two Asbestos Mistakes you will Never Make Again!

Asbestos is a set of six naturally occurring silicate minerals, Asbestos was originally a very popular building tool as it is strong, flexible and resistant. However Asbestos fibers pose a major public health risk as they have been shown to aggravate the lungs causing chronic respiratory issues.

The Number One Mistake:

Oh no! You’ve bought a property with asbestos!

So you’ve finally bought what you think is your dream home but low and behold you’ve discovered that the roof, walls or other surfaces are made out of asbestos, so how could this have been prevented? Whether it’s your dream home or a commercial property asbestos can be a scary and daunting discovery but with the right tools and people by your side, you can not only identify asbestos but put measures in place to keep yourself, your family, and employees safe and healthy.

 

So how do I identify Asbestos? One of the best ways to identify if Asbestos is present is to look at the date of which the building was erected, Australia banned the usage of blue and brown asbestos during the mid ’80s and white asbestos in 2003, however there is still a high chance the property has asbestos even if it was built in the late ’80s to 2003. Physically identifying Asbestos just with your eyes can be difficult. However, some parts of structures are more common in asbestos usage, such as cement sheets. In the past, these were bonded with asbestos fibres and corrugated cement sheeting roofs which can contain high levels of asbestos. Another common use of asbestos was in areas that are exposed to water or dampness as asbestos has impressive waterproof properties, this means you could find asbestos in bathrooms, laundries, cellars, shafts, storage rooms, wall cavities, pipes utilized for carrying water and sewage, as well as ceilings.

 

But of course the best and most surefire way to identify if asbestos is within a property is to call in the professionals. Contacting Asbestos Testing Melbourne can allow you to call in an Asbestos Professional, and they will come to your property to collect a sample which they will take to an NATA accredited laboratory and return the results directly to you, and all this can happen within 24 hours however multiple samples may take longer to ensure accurate results. Utilizing a professional will also help keep yourself and others safe as they will inform you of any risks of contamination or health risks.

 

The Second biggest mistake:

Attempting removal yourself.

So you’ve identified that some of your walls have asbestos in them, just knock them down and take them to the dump right? STOP! Asbestos in its fibrous state when inhaled can cause life long lung problems such as asbestosis and lung cancer. Whenever considering the removal of Asbestos consult a professional to avoid injury to yourself and those around you.

Geoffrey Newton, aged 81 considered himself a DIY expert and prided himself of his skills, building boats and remodeling buildings. He knew the risks of brown and blue asbestos but when removing a heater from his home he did not realize that the white dust pouring from the wall when he removed the heater was in fact white asbestos,  both himself and his wife believed it to be harmless. Geoffrey passed away in May, 2012 from mesothelioma, cancer of the lining of the lungs,  caused by the exposure to the white asbestos.

Studies show that the number of people dying each year from mesothelioma has nearly quadrupled in the past 30 years. Most of these cases could have been prevented with professional testing and removal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2194460/How-minutes-DIY-cost-life-years-later-Hidden-asbestos-homes-putting-millions-risk-deadly-lung-disease.html

 

So what to do? Hire a professional, Asbestos removal Melbourne, not only can professionals identify and remove Asbestos but they can also dispose of it in the most environmentally friendly way to ensure it doesn’t cause any damage to the environment or the people you care about. Before attempting DIY work around the home get it professionally tested.

The key to remember is: Let the professionals handle it.

Further Reading: